Tuesday, September 17, 2013

There is no place like Nebraska

Greg Burcham, a.k.a. gbrugin, sportswriter for the UCLA Bruins wrote an article Sunday entitled "The Morning After 2" on Bruins Nation, reflecting on the game against the Huskers Saturday.  In his tagline he says, "The UCLA Bruins notched a fantastic win over Nebraska in one of the meccas of college football yesterday, but the win wasn't the most important thing that happened."  It's true, and also makes me proud to know that Lincoln is referred to as a mecca of college football, (because it's true).  If you'd like to read the whole article, you can find it here.  I read it because honestly it paints Husker fans, players, coaches in a positive light.  So, I've decided to highlight those parts of the article.  I promise one of these days I will write a post that's entirely original thought.
"But when you consider everything that led up to this weekend, I think yesterday's win was the best."  I didn't like to read this statement, as it really just adds insult to injury, but keep reading.
"I say that because some things in life are more important than the final score of a football game."  Even as diehard as football fans are, especially Huskers, I must admit this is true.
"Granted, this is not Nebraska's best team ever, but it was a proud team with a great home field advantage, so any win, especially a win like that, means a lot."  Also a bittersweet statement, but ultimately a compliment.
"One thing that was more important than the final score was the character of the Nebraska football program, and that includes their fans. We confirmed this week that Nebraska fans are about as classy as you will ever find. When I wrote on the morning after the Nebraska game last season, I said that I wanted us to be like Nebraska. I wanted us to be a deeply passionate fan base that wore the same color blue and filled the stadium every week and welcomed the opponents and respected the game and set the standard for what a home field advantage looked like. Well, Nebraska took my great fan card and completely trumped it with kind words from their head coach on Monday and #36 stickers on their helmets and a moment of silence and blue and yellow balloons and a banner before the game and more humanity and decency than I have ever seen from an opposing team. And in doing so, they upped that standard for a fan base to a whole new level. If everyone had the same heart and concern for their fellow man as those Nebraska folks, the world would be a far far better place.
Husker fans will be disappointed about this loss for a few weeks, but I hope they will appreciate that the goodwill and respect they have earned in our eyes and in the hearts and minds of anyone around the country who was following these events is worth more than 5 National Championships, and it will be remembered far longer than the final score. So as the final score rolled up in our favor, I just couldn't cheer quite as loud knowing the disappointment those amazing people were feeling."
Here's a video recap of Saturday's game with a tribute to Nick Pasquale.
While I was really disappointed with how the Huskers played on Saturday (my nephew slept through it, smart kid) the home field advantage attitude that was emulated towards the Bruins is something to be proud of.  This article contains the best compliments that can be paid to a nation of college football fans.  Since I can remember, I've rooted for the Huskers, and I will always be proud to root for the Huskers. 


No comments:

Post a Comment