Saturday, January 23, 2010

it's been six months since I've seen a corn plant

The sun streams in through our living room window polluting our lives with light and warmth after weeks of icy, wet, dark weather. It seems a strange sight, but is certainly welcome. I'm sitting here thinking back and looking forward. For some reason New Year's has never been a time I've found opportune for this. I think because it still feels as if it's in the hustle and bustle of the holiday season. Friends and family and feasting are the order of most days, and are not commonplace outside the holiday season, and so I feel I can't reflect until it's all over.

I'm thinking back on all the Christmas presents I received and how loved they made me feel. Even though I was away from my family, this was possibly one of the best and certainly the most memorable Christmases I can recall. People here and back home went to great lengths to make sure I wasn't missing out on any love or Christmas spirit and, they succeeded. A necklace from my sister-in-law has become very important to me in this last month. It's a silver circle with a clover in the middle, and around the circle are the words : May God hold you in the palm of His hand, from the Irish Blessing. It reminds me how much my family and friends back home really do love me, and that God is holding me in the palm of His hand, protecting me, caring for me, whether I am near or far from loved ones. Other gifts I received brought back wonderful memories, some quirky and some meaningful, but all filled with love. Wow, I feel as if I am sounding horribly cliche right now and I have forgotten the next thing I was going to say...but as a friend recently told me, things are cliche because they are true.

Since I can't remember the next thing I was going to say, maybe I'll just tell you about some of the work that I've been doing here that I've failed to tell you about thus far. The main part of the project here in Bradford, or the main focus, the placement we're not allowed to miss out on, is working in the schools. I work with year 3 children who are mostly Pakistani. For the literacy and numeracy lessons I go out of the larger classroom with a smaller group of children who are at the lowest skill level. All have poor English skills, and some have learning disabilities. I'm finding this work really rewarding, and something that I might like to continue doing. We also go to a youth group that is run by the Methodist church circuit on Sunday evenings. We've been able to form some great friendships with some of the youth here, and attending a leaders' planning meeting at the beginning of January has helped us to feel more involved.

Another placement we're involved with here is an African Womens' Circle run by the Great Horton Methodist church (the one we attend) every other Thursday. This group started as a way to help refugee and asylum seeker women improve their English skills, and share a meal while becoming adjusted to life in England. This is another group that we recently attended a planning meeting for, and is going through a lot of changes. A lady who headed up the whole group for two years is no longer able to do it, and so volunteers are needed to be in management positions and to volunteer a few hours of their time every few Thursdays. There is talk of expanding African Womens' Circle to be just that, not only refugees and asylum seekers. The hope is that women already comfortable with life here can aid those who are starting a similar journey. There are a few women from the Great Horton church interested, so it looks fairly promising. Please pray for this group as it faces many changes. Pray for the women who attend seeking food, fellowship and help with English, pray for the Methodist church leaders trying to define and shape this group, and pray that volunteers will feel the call to serve.

Now I remember what I was going to say earlier before my words became muddled with cliche. It's now after New Year's after the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, and I feel that I have the time and space to think and reflect. While I know I should have a present state of mind, especially at this time in my life, I can't help but look forward to the next year of my life, and beyond. I don't know exactly what it will look like, but I do know that it will be radically different because of this year. Not knowing, not having a plan, scares the crap out of me. I even had a plan before I left home this year, and now I'm not so sure. But I know that God holds me in the palm of his hand, and will guide me. I have an inner-peace, that it will all be ok, even if I feel as if I am walking blindly now. Today marks six months since I have seen a corn plant in real-life, which is the longest it has ever been for me. Six months ago I left home on dreams and faith, and I'm still ok. I can look back and see that God took care of me, even without my beloved corn or Cornhuskers nearby, and therefore I know that God will take care of me in what's to come.

"Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37:4
"and surely I am with you always to the very end of the age." Matthew 28:20b

Blessings,
Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment